I've changed my hairstyle more than anyone I know. Usually drastically, and usually for a reason.
My current situation is: Blonde, short and flippy. It's a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it - but I am thinking of making a move back to au natural - let my hair just rest and grow long again - in the color of it's own choosing, rather than the shade I dictate.
I guess I'm getting back to a point in my life where I need to get back to me, and see who I really am, vice who I want myself to be - can you feel some major "acceptance" coming on?
I need to slow things down a bit. Take a breath. Let my hair down - literally. Stop trying to control my identity with a pair or scissors and bottle of peroxide. I'm going to take some time and just let myself be me - whatever the hell that means. And I'll write a book about it.
The book will be all about how I have used my hair to control my life when I feel like something else is spiraling out of control. I change the girl I see in the mirror and it's like the bad stuff is happening to someone else. That poor long haired red-head just got broken-up with - she was so sad, and then *poof* she's all of a sudden a short haired spunky free-spirited thing. The 20-year-old with the long silky golden locks who is scared to death of moving to a Mexican orphanage - snip snip - *poof* she walks with the bravery of Joan of Arc after donating 12 inches of her hair to Locks of Love. The mousey brunette in highschool became the confidant blonde. The sweet (and often taken-for-granted) blonde became the brooding dark-haired gypsy. I walked into my first job as a nervous and dark-haired wallflower, then walked out of the salon as a firey and unstoppable redhead.
My mantra had become: don't cry - dye! If your heart is aching, take it out on your hair. Don't get angry at things you can't control - get mad about those roots, girl! and do something! If the salon isn't open because it's 2 a.m. on a Sunday night - go to Walgreens and get yourself a home kit of Cinnaberry or Burnt Toast, or Ash.
I think I could come up with a solid story - if I just put the puzzle pieces of my hair cuts and colors together. It will be like a patchwork quilt of emotions...
The title will be something like: The Life and Hairstyles of....
Hopefully, by the time I'm done, I'll know what to fill in for the above "..."
The life and Hairstyles of what?
Of whom?
Here's a sneak preview:
Starting with the "Heartbreak Cut" in late Dec. 2010 - 10 inches of hair cut away to symbolize my newfound freedom. Really, I was kinda sad and hating myself - and I wanted to look like a different person...
Dark brown, with a hint of red.
Aug. 2010 - Blondes DO have more fun- it's summer and I'm in downtown New Orleans! |
| Jun. 2010 - Non-committal Red - not sure if I'd be going blonde, but I am toying with the idea |
| Feb. 2010 - The Rebound Pink - this looked much cooler in person. Here I look like the love child of Raggedy Anne and Ronald McDonald |
2 comments:
I think I like brown best... Maybe. They are all good for different reasons....
and they are all different for good reasons! haha - and I haven't even gotten into my "long hair years" - I think I use cutting my hair as some sort of therapy for life's little traumas - like a break up, or flunking a test, or moving to Mexico. Still haven't figured out if I have a pattern for the "big" traumas. But, for some reason, they seem easier to deal with....
Post a Comment