I was told once, by a sweet girl named Cindy, a girl with soft auburn hair, big brown eyes and translucent white skin, that I had the “heart of an adventurer and the soul of a poet.”
I remember that---On days when I feel more like I have the skin of a rhinoceros (tough, thick, and unyielding towards the barb-like-words that are thrust at it).
I think I have the heart of an adventurer---On the days that I’ve forgotten the music that plays in my core when I am exploring an uncharted trail or walking through a city I’ve never visited.
I think of my poet’s soul---On the days that I draw inwards into my own dark shadows and lose my ability to ease, or even recognize, the burdens laying heavy upon others.
I think of who I am. Of what I stand for. Of everything I believe in. When I remember that single-breathed compliment. I replay the words when I am searching for a mirror….a face to look back at and see my own.
I don’t know if I’ll ever get a compliment like that again. It doesn’t even matter, it’s enough for me to hold onto until the day I die.
1 comment:
erin - that may be the only time someone states a truth about you so perfectly, but it wont be the only time you live up to the compliment.
dulce de leche ice cream with a mint leaf, that's all im sayin... ;)
Post a Comment