I wanted to buy a house when i first moved out to Connecticut. I had wild dreams of living in a house that had been around for a hundred or so years on a quiet little pice of land, near some trees. A house in which I could create my own world....a mix of victorian class and bohemian spirit. Then I realized: this is probably the most haunted area of the country. And I am paralytically scared of ghosts.
Honestly, one of the biggest factors that pushed me into the renting community was the fear that my house would be haunted. I couldn't buy a house and then refuse to live in it because of ghosts. No self-respecting adult would be having sleep overs with other people just so she didn't have to stay in her own haunted house.
Here's the ironic part. The house I live in right now is undoubtably haunted. And even wierder, it's not as scary as I thought it would be. My ghosts wake me up in the middle of the night once in awhile making noises, but they really do respect my space and leave me alone. So I try to do the same for them. I let them stomp around and throw things in my attic. I hear them stepping on all the creeky floorboards in the living room. They even freak my dog out and make him bark now and then. But I don't say anything to them. And I don't go investigate their noises anymore. I just let the noises happen.
They repay me by not doing any of that scary movie stuff (sneaking behind me in the bathroom so I see their face in the mirror when I look up from rinsing mine off and lurking around corners). Every once in awhile, i might see something out of the corner of my eye, but I know that's always by accident. They do a good job of staying invisible. And I do my best pretending to be sane and not forming relationships with ghosts.
My mind is much more open to sharing my living space with ghosts now though. While I've always been vhemently opposed to being haunted, I find that now it's not as bad as I would have guessed. Almost pleasent. Like I'm not alone. So the ghosts can stay up and keep watch downstairs while I sleep upstairs.
i think my new perspective is based upon me reading the Twilight series. Something else I never thought I could do.
1 comment:
um, ghosts? forreal? can you leave cookies for them like you do for santa?
Post a Comment