So I decided to take up kayaking today. I met two friends at the sporting goods store and we all bought kayaks, life jackets (mine's pink!) and paddles and cute little kayak booties. There was a great sale so we made out like bandits!
Then, we caravaned back to my place where we parked and carried our new goods to the water. Hitting the Sound (we had planned on going into the river then decided to go big or go home), I felt like a total natural - like I had just been at crew practice yesterday. One of my poor friends did not. His first time on anything resembling a kayak, he did not have the same natural grace, balance and poise that I did (haha). He flipped almost immediately and spent the rest of the time feeling "too large" for the kayak.
As we continued paddeling around the Yale sailing team, I explained to my friend that he will get the hang of it - I was just designed to be better at maintaining my balance on an unstable platform like a kayak because I had a lower center of gravity. I explained to him what a disadvantage he was at since he had big buff arms, chest and shoulders (I didn't point out his large melon head because I wanted to focus only on the positive). I then demonstrated how much of an advantage I had by waving my speghetti arms around and rocking back and forth in my kayak saying "See, you can't tip me, can't tip me, no tipping this girl right here"
Then I tipped. Total underwater soak my hair run my mascara (don't ask why I was wearing makeup kayaking.....) kind of tip. I cut my finger on a seashell and scaped my leg on some rocks. I climbed back into my kayak with as much pride as I could muster in such a humbling situation and just a little concerned at the idea of attracting sharks - no joke, my finger was spurting blood all over my kayak! But I neither cried nor lost my pricey Oakley sporty sunglasses over it.
Of course I do understand why there are so many kayaking accidents over the summer - they give any idoiot with a credit card a kayak......
After the kayak kordination failure, we paddled around a bit, and I practiced my balance so that I could bring Huck with me next time. Then it was time for a shower, dry clothes, and pizza as my token man-friends hung my new mirror on the wall for me.
The day concluded with a beer at Tommy's, a shopping spree at Lush and now a Sex in the City maraton on TBS.
I end Saturday feeling tanned and toned, soft and scented, and totally in tune with Carrie Bradshaw.
1 comment:
that sounds amazing.
Post a Comment