Wednesday, July 1, 2009

along those lines....

Along the lines of starting and forgetting, restarting and abandoning and pleadging to start once again, here are some highlights from an old blog of mine that I just spent this morning reliving:

Friday, July 28, 2006
Towing
Current mood: cranky
Category: Religion and Philosophy
Philosphy behind towing (aka legalized piracy)
For those of you who believe in Karma, explain me this: How does a nice young woman who is in transit to visit an orphanage in Mexico end up getting her truck towed with a fat $225 bill tacked onto it BECAUSE she parks in a friends' apartments' parkinglot (leaving her truck unattended for 15 minutes) so that she can help said friend move another truckload of HEAVY furniture up a flight of stairs (by the way, thanks for your help with that, you strapping young male neighbors----yes, you that couldn't take 5 minutes away from your XBox to help two GIRLS carry a TV case up the stairs.)

Chilvary is dead. Karma is crap. Towing is terrible.

Honestly. Is it really necessary to PUNNISH someone by TAKING THEIR TRUCK AWAY FROM THEM! Is it even our place to punish each other? Are we here to judge? Are we here to take justice into our hands? We are all members of the human race. Why can't we try to be more understanding of one another? Why not leave a note? Something along the lines of "We request to draw your attention to the fact that you are not authorized to park in this space and would appreciate you moving your truck at your earliest convience. Thank you and have a nice day." HONESTLY! that would have done it for me. That's all I needed.....But no.
I guess it's a living. I'm just glad I'm not "that guy" that feeds and clothes his kids by stealing people's cars and making them pay to get them back. I wonder how he sleeps at night.
I'll try to be the bigger person and say a little prayer for his conscious before I go to bed. I mean, it really is just his job, if you want to justify it that way. Just don't get me started on the jackass that reported my "unauthorized vehicle" in the first place. There is nothing to redeem him.


Tuesday, June 05, 2007
speeding tickets
From experience, NOTHING dampens a cross-country road trip like a speeding ticket.
Case in point: My last trip from Connecticut to Oregon (with a stop over in Colorado) I got pulled over on the boarder of West Virginia and Ohio. Now, getting caught should really only be the begining of the game.

I don't mind getting pulled over so much, if given the chance to explain myself. And this time, I had a legit excuse. I was in the left lane, all the big 18 wheelers were in the right lane and blocking the signs. How could I be expected to see that the speed limit dropped to 55! Besides, what kind of interestate has a speed limit of 55! LAME! Plus, I was going down hill and my truck was loaded down with every one of my earthly possessions. And maybe I was too busy enjoying the beautiful countryside to notice the needle creeping upwards....

No, no chance for any of it. Just a flash of the lights, liscence and registration, and sign this. I couldn't believe it. Where is the fun in that? No conversation. No inquiry as to why? I feel liek I am personally putting every state troopers kids through college....
Yeah, I got hit....hard. 76 in a 55. OUCH. I know. I know I deserved to get caught blah blah blah. But honestly, I do think that SPEED TRAPS are unsporting.
So since I apparently have a problem with speeding, and my increasing insurance rates are not helping me to remember the pedel on the left side....I have a proposed solution:
I just need to marry a cop. Cop's wives never get tickets, right?
Either that or move to Germany. They really don't have speed limits there anyway.

Friday, October 05, 2007
i know this much is true

i like champange and nachos.
i rub my ears to calm down sometimes (I was inspired to do this one day after putting my dog to sleep by rubbing her ears).
i watch people's mouths move when they talk to me and judge how they are as a kisser by how the words pass through their lips.
i am 23 years old and still jump in puddles when it rains.
i cure head colds with hot tea and orange juice.
i like to write with fine-tip sharpies because i think it makes me look confident.
i want to wake up at sunrise in the middle of a field of sunflowers.
falling stars amaze me.
i like the sounds of waves crashing on the beach at night.
sometimes i care so much that i shake.
i want to go to india
i bite my nails
i hate my nose
i think doing the dishes is a very lonely chore
i think "autumn" is the prettiest word in the English language.
i hate celery. but i sometimes i eat it.
i believe in love, but i don't trust that anyone will ever love me enough to respect my independence and freedom.


Well, after reading those old posts, I like to think I've matured and grown up a little since then. I mean, I've gotten my car towed again and had so many other speeding tickets that my insurance rates went up. But now, as I prepare to enter into my mid-twenties from my early twenties (eep 25 is on it's way....) I realize that I haven't found the need to yell and scream about towing or speeding anymore. now, I park where I am allowed to and follow all posted speed limits. Have I matured, or *gasp* conformed?

2 comments:

thinkpink said...

welcome back :)

SevernYalie said...

I think your nose is cute! Ha! I'm so glad you're in New Haven ... until I move, then I'll wish you were closer!