Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm getting a reputation.....

With the Emergency vet. I called a week ago because my beagle puppy was making a terrible sound, waking me up at 4 in the morning. Apparently beagles "reverse sneeze" a lot and it's nothing to be worried about. Then, I called tonight after our trip to the dog park. Huckleberry loves playing with the big dogs and tonight he got run over by a grayhound. The poor little guy didn't see it coming. There was no stopping the jet-black grayhound. Poor Huck, he made the biggest fuss crying and yipping, my heart stopped. I went over and picked him up, snuggled him, felt him all over for tender spots and then gave him a pep talk about how he won't be carried out of the dog park and how he needed to walk it off. I wanted to keep my cool in front of all the other dog parents and played it off like I was so confident that he was ok, practically made of rubber. So I put him back down and let him run around a few extra minutes with the big dogs. He barked at them, chased them, took one of them down by her floppy ears and left a champion. As soon as we got in the car, I was on the phone with the emergency vet 24-hour line. They assured me that puppies are resilient and that he would be fine and gave me a list of things to look for.

Poor little guy. He's a 100lb labrador trapped in a 10lb beagle pup body!

No comments: