Dedicated to my bittersweet friends (who have every right to be that way)
The best lie ever: I'll love you forever, nothing can ever change the way I feel about you right now. And what fools we all are to believe this blatent lie! And how we always fall into it! When it is a known and widely accepted truth that feelings change. Yearly, Monthly, Daily, Hourly, INSTANTANEOUSLY! I mean, I don't know how many times I've felt like pizza, and before I dial the number, I find myself looking up Chinese food resturants in the phonebook. Because even though pizza is great, I just changed my mind and instead feel like some General Tso's Chicken and an egg roll.
I mean, who are you to ever pledge that your feelings about someone, anyone or ANYTHING will never change? As you grow, you change.
Physically-you change. You grow taller, you lose an appendage, you lose your hair, your hair turns gray, you gain weight, you lose weight, you earn scars, you erase tattoos, you straighten/whiten/lose/replace your teeth, you wrinkle, you sag, you get blochy, and you can grow more beautiful than you had ever thought possible in the eyes of your lover.
Mentally-you change. You read more, you learn more, you know less, you change your views, you change your votes, you stand up for more, you fight for more, you fight for less, you get bored, you seek truth, you hide in lies, and if you are smart, you learn to hold on to someone as if you'd never let them go.
Emotionally- you change. Your temper quickens, your charm increases, your charm decreases and turns into greasy sludge, you find more patience, you cry more, you laugh less, you can't stop laughing, you laugh until you cry, you go crazy, you find your sanity, and if you are lucky or brave, you discover how deep love can run.
You change. You want your career, you want a baby, you want your freedom, you want to belong to someone, you want to get married, you need a divorce, you find yourself, you lose your mind, you wear skirts and heels, you wear birks and cords, you wear sweats and sneakers, you wear nothing at all...
You yell and scream, you dissolve into a silent solitude. You want to be alone....you just need someone to be with.
Every day, you change. And the truth is, my friends, so does everyone around you. So how can you promise that your feelings will never change, when the only promise worth making is to keep up with another, change and grow and support them in their journeys and feelings and phases. You can promise your life to someone, you can promise your heart. But never promise to love them statically....not in this dynamic life.
2 comments:
i am the bittersweet minus the sweet...but i appreciate this post!
Wow, what a incredibly spot on / great piece of writing. It pretty much sums it all up. And I mean it all.
Post a Comment