Saturday, January 23, 2010

sisters

No one will ever know you like your sister does.

If you are close to your sister, you probably think that statement is so obvious. But if you are like me, you always feel "on-again-off-again" with your sister and it comes as a surprise whenever she offers you some beautiful insight into your soul.

Luckily, I have two sisters. My youngest sister and I are very close. Always have been, always will be, thick and thin she's my right hand. She gets it.

My older younger sister is the on again off again sister. See, when things are going really good in our lives, we barely talk, and when we do, we usually argue. Sometimes we still hit each other (well, usually I smack her around....but that's because I am older and bigger and smarter thus dominant). We call each other names - really really bad names that still cut to the bone like they did when we were in high school. We hate on each other in the lowest below the belt mud slinging ways only sisters can get away with. But when the shit hits the fan, she's the first to jump to my defense - even if she doesn't know from what she is defending me or why I am right. When her world falls apart, I'm the first one on scene with the glue. When things are bad, we are unseparable and I pity the fool that takes a stand against us.

I just had my sisters proof-read an e-mail of a very delicate nature (ok by that I mean it was to my ex-fiance so I needed someone to look over it and tell me if I was being an idiot or not).

The youngest responded in (no surprise) her easy comfortable manner:
"as poetic as the whole sandcastle thing is, i'd take it out. no offense. i liked it. but then, what do i know about men/relationships? considering the fact that i liked it, i'd rewrite the whole thing and say the opposite. but just kidding. not going to lie, my eyes did water a little at the end."

It was her way of making me smile and starting up an e-mail banter about how there was nothing wrong with the "sandcastle thing" and she really doesn't know anything - and she is the loser that just watched the first 5 seasons of Greys Anatomy in 3 weeks!

The older younger sister surprised me....but I should have seen it coming. It's us against the world again,  so she said:
"I'm proud of you for saying what you needed to say while still being sweet and forgiving....Stay strong. Keep looking forward, like you always do. You're the only woman I know who can be so gentle and caring yet such a fighter at the same time. I wouldn't change a word."

My seet and forgiving, gentle and caring, fighting heart is smiling.

2 comments:

thinkpink said...

love this post. love.

t. said...

i dont have a sister. i have two wonderful brothers, but no sister. i think my closest thing to a sister is RS, T(t)G, SY, VH, EMD, CB, CD, SMD. i think of it like an hermes bag: if you cant have the real thing, it's good to have lots and lots of gorgeous, fun, and empowering "knock offs".


as for the ex-fiance, he'll rue the day he earned that prefix. now, whatever you are doing when you read this comment, i want you to pull out your sharpie and write this note to yourself on your hand (i know you dont use a dayplanner consistently): email tee all the details privately. ASAP.

got it? love you.