I came home today and found my beagle puppy sleeping on my bed - completely entangled in my favorite coral colored bra. He couldn't even stand up - he had try to chew it off, and succeeded only in ripping one of the cups open. Go figure how he got himself into that mess.
But that's not what this post is about.
I stopped at the liquor store tonight. I was splurging on some Pad See Ew and I wanted a nice buttery glass of chardonnay to top it off. The man behind the counter sparked conversation. He gave me a sample of Malbec and was impressed that I could translate the label. I told him that I had lived in Mexico for awhile. When I asked him where he was from (I was assuming he would be from Argentina because he had offered me the Malbec) he answered Nepal. I gave him this astonished look and was only able to mutter, "Nepal? I've never met anyone from Nepal before." I wish I had known SOMETHING, ANYTHING about Nepal so I could have asked an educated question like, "Oh, and do you enjoy living at sea level now rather than atop of Mt. Everest?" But, my lack of knowledge of Nepal did not hamper conversation. Soon, I was enthralled in his description of the little community of family and friends he has here - and the parties they have. I want to go to one of those parties! The food alone would draw me - not to mention that there was a kindness and wisdom about this man. He told me about his wife and children and asked about my family. Soon, I was telling him everything. And his eyes were so kind, I almost cried. I choked out, "Wow, all of that sounded really sad, didn't it?" But he responded perfectly - in (oh what's that adjective for something you can't replecate?) prose, he spoke about literature and life and love and how God tests us by giving us many challenges at one time just so we can see how strong we are, and how much we need him. But that it all balances out. We all have light and darkness.
Apparently Nepal is torn apart by war right now. But one day, when it balances out, I think I'd like to go. What a lovely people.
No comments:
Post a Comment